I'm slowly transitioning to green products - stuff that's good for the environment and good for me. When The Body Shop announced their Rainforest Hair Care line, I was excited.
This line has products that address various hair care needs:
- Shine is for normal to dry hair
- Moisture works to treat dry and damaged hair
- Balance is used for those with oily hair
- Radiance helps color-treated hair
I chose Shine since I don't really have a lot of hair issues except that it tends to get poufy when I'm stressed.
The products do not contain any colorants, parabens, sulphates or silicones. Most of the products out there have these present and it's difficult to avoid these completely. I mean, just read the label of every item you use. So I'll take the alternative that lessens my exposure to these chemicals.
Because it does not contain a lot of chemicals found in other products, the formula is easily biodegradable - that means that the formula breaks down faster. It also means that the products do not work and feel the same as others. The formula of the shampoo was watery. The conditioner felt less slippery. I found that I needed to use a little bit more than usual.
Since there are no sulphates in this formula, don't expect it to lather as much. The Body Shop recommends that you mix the product with a little water using your hands, before applying it to your hair. I didn't really understand why until I tried it - the method made it easier for me to work the products into my hair.
Even if it was a different experience, I found that it did the job in terms of making my hair clean. I was worried that the conditioner did not work because my hair did not feel slippery but to my surprise, it was easier to comb. Plus, my hair did not feel weighed down. The products have a clean, somewhat herbal smell that I liked.
All in all, I like this product enough that I would purchase it again. It takes some getting used to, but it's all good.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Want to try this product? I'm giving away a Rainforest Shine Travel Set which includes 2 sets of travel sized (60 ml) shampoo and conditioner. There's also a lovely apple green comb that's part of this set - it's made of 100% recycled material.
Here's how to enter:
1. Leave a comment below, please include your email add. Only one comment is allowed per person. If you don't want your email add published, you can send it to me here - please include your follower name & email add. And you'll still have to leave a comment on this page.
2. Get an additional entry by letting people know via Twitter. You can do this once a week. Each tweet equals one entry. Make sure to include @stepfordwitch so that I can track your entry.
Giveaway closes on June 3 and the winner will be announced on June 4. Good luck! :)