September 1, 2011

theBalm Blam Shelter Tinted Moisturizer

During the latter part of last year, I was obsessed with base products.  One of the Tinted Moisturizers I picked up was theBalm's Balm Shelter because I never tried anything from the brand and was curious.

 

I picked Light/Medium since that's my usual shade.  Had I chosen a shade lighter, I would have hit the jackpot.  Or not.  It's really hard to tell with this brand.  If you're an NC 20 or lighter, my guess is there won't be a shade that will suit you as these are darker than what's normally out there.

They really should change how they name the shades of this product... Papaya, Tangerine, Pumpkin!  It's just too orange.  Or they can improve the formula so that more people can actually wear this product.

For the sake of reviewing the other aspects of this Tinted Moisturizer, I used it for a few months even if I looked pumpkiny.  I just had to make sure to avoid places where I had to be around a lot of people. Har har!


Blam Shelter felt cool on my skin which was a nice.  The thickness is similar to foundation but definitely lighter and more blendable than a BB Cream.  It provided light coverage which was buildable to medium and gave off a dewy effect.  I think this is a good product for people with dry skin as it gives a healthy glow.

Wear time is decent, at least half a day.  If you want it to last longer, make sure you set it with powder and blot if your skin looks too shiny.  Just don't put too much because it rubs off on clothing even after setting the product.

Another plus - this has SPF 18.  Unfortunately, it smells like sunscreen - doesn't disappear fast and it's noticeable.

Personally, I would not purchase this again because I bet they don't carry my shade and I'm not a fan of the smell.  But if this matches your skin color and you're on a budget, this isn't so bad.

6 comments:

  1. Too bad this didn't work for you. I like this over Mary Kay tinted moisturizer -- they only have 2 shades by the way. I use this daily and I love the almost-morena glow it gives me =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @undomesticdiva - never tried mary kay. so far the ones i've tried that i like a lot are laura mercier and rouge bunny rouge. i should probably use Balm Shelter for contour... hmmm... that's an idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that it rubs off. :( The last thing you want your makeup to do is slide off your face whether it's by rubbing or sweating. The shades should be a boon though for those saying that foundation/bb cream/tinted base shades here are too few and too light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kari - what you said about the shade is true. my problem is that BB creams are too pink. i need something that's light but really yellow hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. I doubt this would match me. Thanks for your candid review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. VijiiS - you're very much welcome. you may want to try out laura mercier instead. that's my old reliable. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for giving my blog some love ♥